The System Office of Human Resources leads and partners with the seven University of Maine System (UMS) universities to meet the changing human resource needs of the University of Maine System, its faculty, and employees. Collectively our human resources provide the educational opportunities that transform students’ lives and the research and outreach that contribute to the people and State of Maine.
Human Resources supports the recruitment, development, effective management, and retention of highly qualified faculty and employees through staffing, employee and labor relations, compensation, benefits, performance management, organization development, and equity and diversity programs and services.
About Human Resources (HR)
The Office of Human Resources provides leadership and works in partnership with the universities to meet the changing human resource needs of the University of Maine System and its faculty and employees.
The Office of Human Resources develops, implements and administers a comprehensive program that provides services and human resources development and management strategies to support the University’s teaching, research, and public service mission, and leadership in change management and organization development.
Fair and respectful treatment of employees, recognition of the contributions and dignity of employees, and compliance with employment laws are core values.
If you need information on this website in an alternate format, please call or write:
University of Maine System
Office of Equal Opportunity
130 Alumni Hall
Orono, ME 04469
TTY 711 (Maine Relay System)
The documents and information of the Office of Human Resources for the University of Maine System are made available on the Internet as a public service. Reliance on such information is at the user’s own risk. We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate and current, but cannot guarantee the accuracy, reliability, completeness or timeliness of information obtained from this website and may not be held liable for any losses caused by any person’s reliance on such information.
Contents at links outside the University of Maine System Human Resources Website are neither created nor endorsed by the University of Maine System. If you have any questions concerning the information on this website, contact your university.
Last Updated: June 27, 2013
Links and HR Resources
- Benefit Program Guides & Orientation
- Employee Assistance Program
- Family Leave Policies
- Holiday Schedule
The University of Maine System believes in the power of higher education to transform lives and is committed to creating a more educated Maine. Employees who are interested in pursuing higher education may contact the university Advising Office for guidance.
Eligible employees and their dependents are encouraged to take advantage of the University’s *Tuition Waiver Programs to enhance their personal and professional growth and development. Eligible employees may use tuition waivers in a degree program or for individual courses. Eligible dependents may use tuition waivers upon acceptance into a degree program.
*Further information regarding tuition waiver programs is available on the MyUMS (External Site) Employee Portal.
Click here for information about the Employee Assistance Program.
- Handbook for Non-Represented Faculty and Salaried Staff revised July 2017 (PDF)
- Handbook for University Supervisors and Confidential Employees (Non-Represented Hourly Employees) revised July 2017 (PDF)
- Non-Represented Employee Grievance Forms (PDF)
Click here for information about Employment Opportunities. (External Site)
- Board of Trustees (BOT) Policy on General Equal Opportunity
- Non-Discrimination Notice
- Guidelines Regarding Consenting Relationships
- BOT Policy on Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault
Equal Opportunity Complaints
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Accommodation Request Information and Notice
- Procedure for Accommodating Individuals with Disabilities (PDF)
- Accessibility: UMS’ Commitment to People with Disabilities (PDF)
- Desk Reference for Accommodating Students with Disabilities (PDF 2008)
- Guidelines Regarding Service Animals (PDF)
- University Equal Opportunity Officers
- Search Briefing Schedule (External Site)
- University Disability Accommodation Resources (PDF)
- Sexual Harassment Pamphlet – 2022
- Erase Harassment Pamphlet – 2019 (PDF)
- Alcohol and Drug Pamphlet – 2022 (PDF)
Health & Wellness
- Payroll and HR Records Management
- Employment Verification Information
- Former employees submit Individual Data Sheet (PDF) to update mailing address
- Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Submit your inquiry (External Site)
Policies and Procedures
Administrative Practice Letters Index
Board of Trustees Policy Manual
- Background Screening
- Campus Violence
- Conflict of Interest
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse Brochure
- Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action
- Name Usage Policy
- Record Retention (See APL IV-D)
- Sexual Harassment
- Smoke-Free Workplace
- Telecommuting Guidelines
Click here to view HR Reports.
University of Maine System Retiree Health Benefits
The University of Maine System would like to take this opportunity to express most sincere appreciation for the outstanding service of its employees as they either contemplate retirement or perhaps already enjoy its many benefits and opportunities.
A special Retiree Benefits web page has been created to furnish useful information and resources maintained to assist employees no matter where they may be in the retirement process.
Useful listings include Aon and Aetna, TIAA, and EBPA where you can locate what you need to know for successful Open Enrollment, bill reconciliation, Health Savings Account administration, and much more.
You’ll also find helpful connections to U.S. Government and Maine agencies that can prove outstanding sources of information and understanding as well.
An important resource available to those contemplating retirement from the University of Maine System, the Guide should be a part of consideration in both timing and personal options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Finally, besides useful links and email addresses, you’ll also discover a presentation of Frequently Asked Questions compiled to help keep you moving forward.
Veterans & Military Members
- UMS Statement of Support (PDF)
- Leave of Absence for Military Training
- Family Military Leave of Absence
- Military Leave of Absence
- Reporting Back to Work
- Related Information:
If you have a question about military leave or any other employment-related question, contact your Campus Human Resources Office. Be prepared to give your Employee ID number.