The university’s Information Technology services (UMS:IT) promotes accessibility of information & communication technologies (ICT) by:
- Considering accessibility in ICT procurement, development, maintenance & support activities. During procurement of ICT, suppliers are required to provide evidence of accessibility, such as completed Voluntary Product Accessibility Statements (VPATs).
- During IT project initiation, UMS:IT reviews proposals for accessibility risks and develops appropriate questions and controls to ensure project-related ICT deliverables are accessible.
- During ICT product and service development accessibility is considered and planned for, including accessibility planning, identification and application of related accessibility standards, ensuring that staff involved in development have necessary ICT accessibility skills and testing UMS:IT-developed products and services for accessibility.
- Scanning and monitoring of university websites for accessibility issues.
- Providing assistance and training in the development of accessible electronic materials.
- Assisting other university areas in ensuring that their ICT-related services and materials do not create barrier for persons with disabilities.