For Travelers

Reducing travel and avoiding unnecessary travel should continue to be every employee’s guide when considering whether to request, authorize, or direct domestic travel within Maine. The University understands that, for certain work and activities, a physical presence may be necessary or greatly advantageous.

For the remainder of June, such travel remains very limited and should only occur on an exception basis with supervisory approval and in consultation with Risk Management. Effective July 1, such travel may resume within the State of Maine in accordance with customary protocols for approval. This is not intended to be a full return to pre-pandemic travel, but it is intended to provide greater travel flexibility when the need for in-state travel is compelling. Risk Management will no longer need to be consulted for travel within the State of Maine.

For any University travel that may occur, carpooling and sharing transportation with others except immediate family members remains prohibited. Narrow exceptions to the carpooling/sharing restriction may be approved by Risk Management – if social distancing measures can be met. The use of public transportation is prohibited unless necessary. University meetings should continue to utilize remote technologies as feasible. Social distancing and face coverings should be utilized for any in-person gatherings which are conducted.

When travel within the state is necessary or otherwise advantageous, all travelers should take steps to minimize contact and promote social distancing. Planning is crucial; consider the following suggestions:

  • Fuel the vehicle before you leave
  • If delivering a package – develop a drop-off plan that doesn’t involve face to face contact
  • Wear a face covering in public areas, as recommended by Civil authorities
  • Travel with gloves and/or disinfectant
  • Avoid travel to locations with community transmission our outbreaks whenever possible
  • Avoid unnecessary stops

Domestic Travel Beyond Maine:

The University of Maine System continues to prohibit all university-sponsored domestic travel beyond the State of Maine.

Anyone who travels outside the state and returns to Maine is required to self-isolate for 14 days upon return. There are certain exceptions this requirement, including for travelers arriving from New Hampshire or Vermont and for travelers with a current negative Covid-19 test Travelers arriving from outside Maine should refer to the “who needs to self-isolate” information on this web site for more specific information.


Keep Maine Healthy
COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Country

(Last reviewed/updated: 06/19/2020)

Reducing and avoiding unnecessary travel should continue to be every employee and student’s guide when considering whether to request, authorize, or direct any travel. Travel for the remainder of the calendar year will continue to be constrained due to the pandemic. Everyone is encouraged to adhere to the guidance provided from civil authorities, the CDC, and U.S. Department of State.

This guidance will be updated as civil authorities, the CDC, and the U.S. Department of State update relevant travel information.

Details for information particular to certain types of international travel are below.

General University Travel Abroad – Students and Employees

This section pertains to University sponsored international travel. This includes international travel that uses University funds, including activity fees; for which academic credit is awarded; or which are subject to the University’s insurance coverage. Any one of those criteria means the travel is University Sponsored. This section covers both currently prohibited travel and options to begin booking new travel for the period beginning March 20, 2021.

Current State

Travel to countries with a CDC or U.S. Department of State travel advisory level of 3 or 4 is prohibited. The CDC currently has a Level 3 advisory – avoid non-essential travel to global destinations. The U.S. Department of State currently has a travel advisory Level 4 – Do Not Travel.

Anyone who travels outside the state is required to self-isolate for 14 days upon return. Maine will waive the 14-day quarantine requirement if a traveler has a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of returning to the state. The State implemented these guidelines to prevent spread of the virus.

Spring 2021 International Travel Plans

The University recognizes that international travel is often a key aspect of research and educational activities. Purchasing tickets and booking travel in advance may be necessary to achieve optimal pricing. Therefore, International Travel trips may be booked starting for dates as soon March 20, 2021- provided the following criteria are met:

  • Travel is approved by the Provost
  • Travel must be booked through Corporate Travel Planners. Note: Tickets must have a $300 or below change fee.

Corporate Travel Planners
800 223-1308
Monday-Friday 9:30am-5:30pm

  • Individual travel plans should not be booked more than 6 months in advance.
  • Contingency plans are developed – travel must be cancelled in the event the U.S. Department of State and/or CDC travel advisories are a level 3 or 4 within the period a full refund for travel is available.


CDC – COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Country
U.S. Department of State – Travel Advisories
An Order Establishing Quarantine Restrictions on Travelers Arriving in Maine

Study Abroad Programs

Due to continued concerns regarding COVID-19 throughout the world, current U.S. Department of State and CDC travel advisories, and lack of key infrastructure and resources world-wide due to the pandemic, there will be no outbound fall study abroad programming with a travel start date before December 18, 2020.

Any requests for travel exceptions must be submitted to the Provost of the respective campus and to Risk Management for consideration.

International Student Enrollment

Due to continued concerns regarding COVID-19 throughout the world, including Maine, inbound non-degree seeking international exchange programs for Fall of 2020 have been postponed.

Each campus will be evaluating the possibility of welcoming inbound non-degree seeking students beyond fall of 2020. As part of this consideration, guidance from the CDC, U.S. Department of State, Maine regulations, and international education professional organizations will be weighed in the decision making process.

Note: This affects only J-1 exchange students, not international degree candidates or J-1 scholars.

(Last reviewed/updated: 06/19/2020)