How do I know if I am a transfer student?

You are a “transfer student” if you have taken coursework at another college or university since you graduated from high school.

What is Reverse Credit Transfer?

Reverse Credit Transfer (External Site) is a process where academic credits for coursework completed at a university are transferred back to your community college to satisfy Associate degree or Certificate requirements. Through Reverse Credit Transfer, a student’s achievements are recognized after they have transferred to a university and have accumulated the credits needed to fulfill the Associate degree or Certificate program. It’s value-added to your education!

What is the UMS-MCCS General Education Transfer Block?

The UMS-MCCS General Education Transfer Block (Word Document) includes at least 34 credits of general education course work, with grades of C- or better in all courses taken from within the Maine Community College System. Its outcomes include content from eight key general education categories with the understanding that each institution’s general education will undoubtedly contain many more outcomes. These outcomes are common to all University of Maine System and Maine Community College System campuses. Students who have completed the UMS-MCCS General Education Transfer Block at any UMS or MCCS institution currently accredited by NECHE will be regarded as having completed the General Education requirements at every other UMS or MCCS institution, except for up to eleven credits of additional General Education coursework to be specified by the receiving institution.

How do I get credit for college classes I took in high school?

Have your official college transcript of these courses sent and they will be evaluated for credit.

How do I get credit for life or work experience?

You also are considered a “transfer student” if you have life experience or work experience that is credentialed and you wish to have the learning from that experience evaluated for credit. Each institution within the University of Maine System has a prior learning assessment process whereby this kind of learning can be evaluated for credit. Contact the transfer official at the institution you are interested in attending to learn more about this process.

How do I get my transcripts sent?

Contact the Registrar or Office of Student Records of your other institution(s) to have an official copy sent to the Shared Processing Center, University of Maine System, PO BOX 412, Bangor, ME 04402-0412.

You will need to reach out to any colleges or universities which you attended previously and request to have an official copy of your transcript sent to us.  In order for the transcript to be considered official on our end, it needs to be sent directly to our office from the school you attended or arrived in a sealed, stamped envelope.  Paper copies can be sent to to the Shared Processing Center, University of Maine System, PO BOX 412, Bangor, ME 04402-0412.

How does the evaluation process work?

An evaluation of transfer credit will be prepared by the Transfer Officer for each accepted transfer student, and will be available in the student’s MaineStreet Student Center. The transfer student should meet with an academic advisor at the receiving university to review how the transfer credit will be applied toward the student’s degree program. Transfer evaluations will be prepared based on the following principles

  1. Within the University of Maine System Undergraduate courses completed with a C- or higher, including P grades, will transfer from one University of Maine System university to another. Grades will be recorded on the student’s transcript but not computed into the cumulative GPA.
  2. Outside the University of Maine System. Credit earned with a C- or higher in courses from regionally accredited colleges/universities outside the University of Maine System will be considered for transfer. Pass-fail courses taken outside the University of Maine System must have “pass” defined as a C- or higher in order to transfer.
  3. Generally, course grades do not transfer from one college/university to another. Semester and cumulative GPA’s reflect only those courses taken at the home university. Students in cooperative degree programs should inquire about any exceptions that may apply.
  4. Coursework defined as developmental by the university to which the students transferring will not be awarded degree credit. Developmental courses are considered preparatory to college-level work, and will not count towards a degree.
  5. Courses from colleges and universities outside the United States will be accepted for transfer consistent with established university policies and practices.

Why isn’t my college listed for transfer equivalencies?

It may be that you are the first person to transfer from your previous institution. If you have questions about transferring credit from another college or university, please contact the University of Maine System campus where you plan to transfer for more information.

Why is my course not listed?

New equivalencies are being created daily for use in the University of Maine System transfer credit evaluation tool. If you can’t find the course you are looking for, it does not mean you will not receive credit. Contact the University of Maine System campus where you plan to transfer for more information.

What does it mean to have credits from a “regionally accredited” institution?

Accreditation is a voluntary, independent review of educational programs to determine that the education provided is of uniform and sound quality. Generally, college credits or degrees received at a regionally accredited institution are accepted by other regionally accredited colleges or universities (non-regionally accredited programs are not as accepted).

The institutions of the University of Maine System are accredited by NECHE (New England Commission of Higher Education, formerly NEASC). Other regional accreditation agencies are: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), Southern Association of Schools and Colleges (SACS), Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).

What should I do if I have credit from a “nonregionally accredited” institution?

Students with coursework from non-regionally accredited schools may inquire into the possibility of validating some or all of their learning through testing and/or approved university credit for prior learning process. Students interested in this option should contact the university Transfer Officer for more information.

Will my grade point average (GPA) from my previous institution transfer in addition to my courses?

No, Your GPA is calculated using only the grades you receive from the University of Maine System campus to which you transfer. Grades from other University of Maine System institutions are displayed on transcripts with transferred course(s). However, these grades are NOT calculated into the GPA at the receiving institution.

Do I need a specific grade point average (GPA) to transfer?

Some majors require prerequisite courses or a minimum GPA prior to transferring. To find out if your intended major has any special admissions criteria, contact the University of Maine System campus where you plan to transfer for more information.

How can I find out if my credits will transfer, or how do I plan?

Ask an advisor at your current institution to help you plan your transfer. Transfer advisors generally know transfer credit policies and exceptions as well as helping students identify an appropriate major and coursework prior to transfer. Some colleges may evaluate your credits before you are admitted, but this evaluation will be considered unofficial. Most colleges will require that you be admitted before completing the official credit transfer evaluation.  Use our credit transfer evaluation tool (External Site) to enter courses you have taken at other colleges and see what they equal at each UMS campus. 

When do my credits transfer?

Eligible course credit will transfer to a University of Maine system campus after admittance to that campus.

What grade do I need for my courses to transfer?

Courses with a grade of C- or higher taken at regionally accredited colleges or universities are considered for transfer. Some programs may have higher grade requirements for certain courses within the major.

What can I do if a course doesn’t transfer?

If you have questions regarding why a particular course did not transfer, you can contact the office from which you have received your transfer evaluation. Sometimes additional information about your coursework can result in a new evaluation. It is important to remember that developmental or remedial courses (courses under the 100-level) typically will not transfer. If you still believe that your credits were not evaluated and transferred appropriately, you should ask about the transfer credit appeals process and then follow this process as provided.

I am returning to college after several years of not taking courses. Will my courses still transfer?

While each University of Maine System school has their own set of transfer credit rules, there is usually no time limit tied to when courses are taken (please note: the college or university from which credit is being transferred has to have been regionally accredited at the time the course was taken). There may be some programs where courses may need to be retaken if the time period since they were originally completed was very long – it is always a good idea to review your coursework with advisors at the new institution to ensure that you understand what may need to be retaken.

Will quarter system and unit system credits transfer into a semester credit system?

Quarter and unit system credits will be converted accordingly to semester credits.

Why should I set up an account?

Many of the features in the University of Maine System online transfer credit evaluation tool are available without an account. However, with an account you’ll be able to enter your courses and grades and save them, which will enable you to run a transfer credit evaluation for other University of Maine system campuses whenever you want without having to reenter that same information.