Micro-Credential Development Offered by the University of Maine System (UMS)
The University of Maine System Micro-Credential Initiative offers a development series to assist those who are interested in developing a UMS Micro-Credential. You will earn digital badges as you complete the three levels. A micro-credential is awarded to those who meet all of the criteria.
The online training is asynchronous and hosted on Brightspace.
There is no cost to the learner.
- Skills, Professional Development, Micro-Credential Development
Who is Eligible:
Anyone in Maine interested in learning more about the UMS Micro-Credential Initiative may complete Level 1.
Level 1 will take about 1 hour to complete.
This foundational level provides a broad overview of the University of Maine System’s Micro-Credential framework, definitions, benefits, as well as the importance of the initiative in meeting workforce and post-secondary attainment goals.
- Watch a four part video series (about 30 minutes).
- Visit the UMS Micro-Credential website and Badgr Pro public page to see what micro-credentials have been developed and understand the resources available.
To earn your Level 1 badge you will:
- Complete a brief reflection.
- Complete a quiz and receive a score of 80% or better, The quiz is designed to aid you in understanding UMS micro-credential terms and definitions.
Badgr Page for the Level 1 Micro-Credential:
Who is eligible:
Level 2 is open to UMS Micro-Credential Development teams.
You will gain access to the course once you complete Level 1 and are part of a confirmed development team.
You will collaborate with your team in the planning and design process to develop a UMS micro-credential.
- Watch a four part video series (about 25 minutes).
- Complete worksheets and assignments.
- Meet with your development team (at least two times).
- Complete a meta-data template draft.
To earn your Level 2 badge you will:
- Submit the UMS Micro-Credential Starter assignment.
- Submit a team draft of the Meta-Data template.
- Submit verification of your collaboration.
Badgr Page for the Level 2 Micro-Credential:
Who is Eligible:
- Earners of Level 1 & 2 UMS Micro-Credential Development badges
You will learn about the micro-credential implementation process. You will develop an understanding of the badge issuing process and marketing strategies. By the end of Level 3, you will have developed an approved UMS micro-credential.
- Watch a two part video series (about 20 minutes).
- Complete assignments.
- Select your issuing option.
- Develop a marketing infographic.
- Contribute to the Campus/Organization website template.
To earn your Level 3 badge you will:
- Submit collaborative assignments (communication plan, Campus/Organization website, Infographic).
- Submit a reflection.
Badgr Page for the Level 3 Micro-Credential:
This micro-credential recognizes and validates the learner’s successful completion of the University of Maine System (UMS) Micro-Credential Development pathway (Levels 1, 2, and 3). Earners of this micro-credential demonstrated knowledge of the framework, design, development, and implementation of a UMS micro-credential. The learner was part of a Development team that applied their learning in creating an approved UMS Micro-Credential.
Evidence was tracked, verified, and approved by UMS Micro-Credential administrators/staff.
Contact email@example.com to reach out to the UMS Micro-Credential Initiative with questions about the Micro-Credential.
Badgr Page for the Micro-Credential:
Are you interested in learning more about our micro-credential development process or have a question that hasn’t been answered here? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in applying for a mini-grant to help in developing a micro-credential? Visit our Mini-Grant page for more information!Click here to register for UMS Micro-Credential Development Training! (External Site)