Adult Degree Completion Scholarship
One of the many challenges adults face as they return to college is financing their education. The University of Maine System (UMS) has an Adult Degree Completion Scholarship fund helping Maine residents return to school and complete their academic studies. For many, these may have begun years ago, and were not completed for a variety of reasons.
These funds are dedicated to support adult students returning to college after an absence of at least three (3) years or more and who are completing their very first baccalaureate degree. Applicants may qualify for up to $4,000 per academic year for up to eight (8) consecutive semesters.
Students returning to school have two opportunities to apply for the Adult Degree Completion Scholarship. The priority* deadlines for new applicants are listed below.
*Please note: Applications will continue to be accepted after the deadlines if funding remains available.
- August 1 – to be considered for a full academic year award beginning in the fall semester.
- December 1 – to be considered for a spring semester award.
- All renewal applications are due no later than June 1 of each year.
The electronic application takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and may be found here. Prior to completing this application, we recommend contacting your campus Navigator to review your eligibility and discuss your plan for completing your bachelor’s degree. Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for consideration:
- Must be a resident of the state of Maine.
- Must be a matriculated student at a UMS institution seeking a first baccalaureate degree.
- Must be an undergraduate reentry student who has experienced a gap (three years or more) in the pursuit of postsecondary education.
- Must have a minimum of 30 credits earned from any institution toward your degree.
- Must demonstrate financial need as determined by a completed FAFSA.
- Must be registered at least part time: 6‐8 credits per semester.