- Chancellor’s Office
- Board of Trustees
- Faculty & Staff
- Join Our Network
- UMS Data Book
- System Office
- System Directory
Board of Trustees
The University of Maine System is committed to educational excellence amongst its seven public universities. The Board of Trustees oversees the System in areas such as academic programs, faculty tenure, tuition rates and operating budgets.
The Board consists of 16 members, 15 of which are appointed by the Governor and approved by the Maine Legislature. The Maine Commissioner of Education serves as a member ex officio. Members are appointed for a five-year term and may be reappointed once. A student member of the Board is appointed for a single two-year term.
Communicating with the Board of Trustees
Citizen Comment at each Board Meeting:
The Board of Trustees will set aside time for citizen comment prior to the business agenda at each meeting. The Chair of the Board will establish time limits (usually three minutes per person) and determine any questions of appropriateness and relevancy. Personnel decisions, collective bargaining issues, grievances, litigation and other areas excludable from public discussion under the Maine Freedom of Access Law shall not constitute appropriate matters for such input. A person who wishes to speak during the citizen comment period should arrive prior to the meeting start time and sign up on a sheet provided, indicating name and topic of remarks.
Audio Streaming for Board of Trustees Meetings:
Click here to listen to audio streaming of the Board of Trustees meetings
CART captioning for Board of Trustees Meetings:
Click here for the link for CART captioning
Board of Trustees Office contact information:
The Clerk of the Board, Ellen N. Doughty, administers all functions necessary to the conduct of its responsibilities. Contact the Board of Trustees Office at:
University of Maine System
Board of Trustee Office
15 Estabrooke Drive, Orono, ME 04469
Link to the UMS Interactive Dashboard: UMS Interactive Dashboard
Boards of Visitors’ Links
Each of the seven universities has a Board of Visitors. Each Board of Visitors consist of up to 20 members recommended by the campus presidents and confirmed by the Board of Trustees. Membership should reflect the mission of the university and the region it serves.
Below are links to the Boards of Visitors information on the campus websites:
Maine Center Ventures – Board of Directors
Maine Center Ventures is a Maine non-profit corporation incorporated by the University of Maine System Board of Trustees, the purposes of which are to:
(1) encourage, expand and support new academic offerings among the profession and graduate programs that make up the Maine Center for Graduate and Professional Studies (the Maine Center);
(2) develop new experiential education opportunities for students and to expand executive education and other entrepreneurial programs for Maine business;
(3) act as a liaison between the academy and the business and professional communities to advance Maine Center objectives;
(4) increase the focus of academic and non-academic programs and services on economic development opportunities of importance to Maine; and
(5) be organized exclusively for charitable, religious, educational, or scientific purposes under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
The Maine Center Ventures Board of Directors will meet periodically to conduct its business