Because members of Reserve and National Guard units may be placed on active duty, we anticipate that University of Maine System employees who are members of Reserve and National Guard units will have many questions. If you are a regular, *benefits-eligible University employee (not employed in a temporary position with no reasonable expectation of continuing employment), and have been told you are going on active duty status or you anticipate you may be called to active duty, taking the following steps will ensure that your temporary exit from the University is a smooth one, and that you preserve your rights under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Acts Act (USERRA). This information is applicable to active duty status only.

*for more information about Benefits, visit us on the MyUMS Employee Portal.

1. Advise your department head, manager, and/or immediate supervisor as soon as you are notified that you have been called to active duty or enlist in any branch of the armed services. Give them as much information as you have about the date you are expected to report and the anticipated duration, if you know, of your absence from University employment. If the circumstances of your call to active duty do not permit advance notice, please advise your manager or supervisor as soon as possible.

2. Request a leave of absence in writing from your supervisor indicating that you are a reservist who has been called to active duty or that you have enlisted in a branch of the U.S. armed forces.Give a copy of your orders to your supervisor.

3. Submit the completed leave request to your supervisor for processing. It serves as your “notice” that you are entering active duty service and preserves your right to reemployment when you return from active duty status.

4. Contact your University Human Resources Office for information about continuing your insurance benefits while you are on Military Leave of Absence.

OHR 9/05

University of Maine System
Office of Human Resources

Related Information:

Employee Assistance Program

Contact Human Resources

If you have a question about military leave or any other employment-related question, contact your Campus Human Resources Office.  Be prepared to give your Employee ID number.

Last Updated:  January 4, 2012