Below are answers about the University of Maine System Preferred Name Usage Policy

When will my preferred name be used, and when will my legal name be used?

In general, preferred names will be used in the following systems (see the Name Usage Policy for complete details or updates):

  • Class and Grade Rosters (for students and employees taking courses)
  • Student or Employee Identification Cards*
  • Learning Management System (such as Blackboard)**
  • Online Phonebook Directory
  • Official Student or Employee Email Display Name***
  • Directory information⁺
  • MaineStreet Advising Center
  • MaineStreet Student Services Center
  • MaineStreet Employee Self-Service Center
  • Reports and.or lists generated for academic purposes
  • Responses to requests made under the Maine Freedom of Access Act
  • Press Releases (i.e., Dean’s List)
  • Employee business cards
  • Social Media Sites
  • Other Venues as appropriate.

When applying for graduation, students have the option of indicating how they want their name to appear on diplomas and in the Commencement Programs.

*You will need to request a reprint of your ID card with your preferred name on it. This first replacement fee will be waived, all other replacements will be charged the appropriate fee. Visit the Campus Card Office location once you have updated your preferred name.

**Once your preferred name has been updated, this information will show up in the Blackboard system when it automatically syncs (which happens once a day).

***Email Display will update to display your preferred name once the system syncs, but the email address will need to be changed, see details below.

⁺Students can always request that their directory information not be released to the public by submitting a “Request to Suppress Directory Information through MaineStreet Student Self Service or through the campus Registrar/Student Records Office.

Legal Names will be used for all official University records that may be financial in nature or tied to your social security number (see the Name Usage Policy for complete details):

  • Legal Documents and Reports produced by the University (i.e., enrollment reports to the National Student Clearinghouse, enrollment lists for student insurance, etc.)
  • Applications for admission
  • Student Account Statement (Bills)
  • Financial Aid (Scholarship and Loan Documents)
  • Transcripts (official and unofficial)
  • Enrollment Verifications
  • Degree Verifications, Degree Progress Report
  • Student Employment Documents
  • Responses to requests made under the Solomon Amendment
  • Employment Verifications
  • Employment Documents
  • Payroll documents (paychecks, W2s, etc.)
  • Benefits Enrollment
  • IRS, SSA, and other state and federal reporting requirements.

Legal Names still appear in MaineStreet records and will be visible to many employees who can only search by legal name and not preferred name (this may change in future MaineStreet updates). Employees are reminded to maintain the privacy of students, and to use preferred names in communication.

How do I update my preferred name?

Preferred names are updated first and foremost in MaineStreet. This will then feed to some other systems (Blackboard), but other systems will require some additional actions.


To enter a preferred name in MaineStreet:

  • Go to (External Site).
  • Navigate to your Student Center.
  • Select the link labeled “Demographic Data” under “Personal Information.”
  • Select the “Names” tab.
  • Click the green “Edit” button.
  • Add or change your preferred name.


To request a preferred name in MaineStreet, please contact your HR Business Partner or HR Director to request the preferred name change.

How do I change my email address?

Once your preferred name has been updated in MaineStreet, and once the system has synced (which typically happens once each business day), navigate to (External Site) and use the self service option to change your UMS ID. Once the system sync has occurred, your preferred name will be an available option to select for the new ID.

It is important to remember that Gmail and other email platforms may retain contact information that does not update automatically. You may need to request that people you correspond with update their contacts.

Will my preferred name be used in on-campus housing systems?

On most campuses, students can apply for housing using their preferred name, but some Housing or Residence Life systems pull data from the Legal Name field in MaineStreet. Please check in with your campus housing office for specifics.

What happens if I legally changed my name?

Once a name has been legally changed, please reach out to the University Registrar (for students) or Human Resources (for employees) to update your records.

I’ve changed my Maine State ID/License to reflect a non-binary gender, will that be available on campus?

Not at this time, but stay tuned because we are excited about the possibilities! As you encounter places where we should address this in policy, please let us know!

Can I indicate what pronouns I use?

Not at this time, but we are exploring ways to do this in our database. Stay tuned!

← Back to Name Usage Policy