Get a Fresh Start with the Small Debt Forgiveness Program
The University of Maine System does not want a small past balance to stop you from coming back now that you have decided to return to your goal of earning a credential. You may qualify for the University of Maine System (UMS) Small Debt Forgiveness Program. If you left one of the institutions within the University of Maine System, and have a past-due debt of $2,500 or less in tuition and fees owed to UMS from prior semesters attended*, then you may qualify for the Small Debt Forgiveness Program. The program works with you to develop a plan that will support you as you move toward having that debt erased and getting back on track to your goal. To see if you qualify, contact a Student Success Coach today!
To qualify for the UMS Small Debt Forgiveness Program you must:
- Have residency in the State of Maine as defined by the University of Maine System.
- Have obtained “independent status” according to Federal Student Aid definitions (External Site).
- Owe the University of Maine System a past due amount of $2,500 or less.
- Have at least a two (2) year gap from the last time you were a student at any University of Maine System institution.
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the coming academic year.
- By June 30 for a Fall Semester start or December 1 for a Spring semester start.
- Complete all outstanding financial aid requirements, which may include submitting documentation to verify information on “my FAFSA”.
- Be admitted and register for courses required for a degree or eligible certificate program to remain eligible for financial aid funds. Be enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester.
*Any current semester tuition and fees must be paid by the billing due date and are not subject to forgiveness. The UMS Small Debt Forgiveness Program will only forgive past debt owed to an institution within the University of Maine System.