Policy Manual - Sale, Possession & Use of Alcoholic Beverages
Section 502 Sale, Possession & Use of Alcoholic Beverages
Last Revised: 1/23/89
Responsible Office: Academic Affairs
The sale, possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages on campuses of the University of Maine System must be in compliance with the laws of the State of Maine and in accordance with local campus regulations and procedures.
The policies and regulations of each campus governing the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages must be reviewed by University System Counsel and approved by the Chancellor.
No sale of alcoholic beverages may be made at any institution except by the University of Maine System acting pursuant to its duly authorized liquor license, or by a catering service holding a duly authorized liquor license, and providing such service pursuant to a catering agreement with the University of Maine System or one of its institutions.
1. The president of each campus shall recommend in writing to the Chancellor a statement of the campus policy and regulations for authorizing and controlling the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages on campus. All policies and regulations must be in strict compliance with the laws and regulations of the State of Maine regarding the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages.
2. There shall be evidence of student and faculty deliberation and participation in formulating the plan.
3. Campus regulations and the student conduct code shall provide procedures for handling violations of campus regulations.
4. Provisions shall be made for the periodic re-evaluation of experience under the policy and regulations of the campus, and for their revision, as appropriate.
5. A copy of each campus policy and regulations shall be on file in the Office of Academic Affairs.