Minutes - September 15, 2006
Present: Allen Berger, Tracy Bigney, Dick Campbell, Ralph Caruso, Jon Henry, Sue Hunter, Dick Kimball, Eddie Meisner, Cindy Mitchell, John Murphy, Sharon Nadeau, Tom Potter, Janet Waldron, Bill Wells, Joanne Yestramski, Darren-Michael Yocum.
1. Information Exchange:
a. Recruit/Admit/Campus Community: There have been a few issues reported on the ISIS side of the conversion. 220 help tickets have been logged since July 31, with about 35-40 still open (the trickier ones). In Campus Community, most problems seem to be associated with duplicate IDs and ID management. These are being cleaned up and duplicates eliminated.
USM, UMA, and UMaine have converted prospect data from legacy environments to PeopleSoft, and are now cleaning up these data.
b. Shared Processing Center/Applications Processing: Jon reported that the SPC has been hiring, training, and developing business processes, the latter with assistance from Katharin Brink of Cedar Crestone. Employees are now in place to handle admission processing. A mailing has gone out to guidance counselors at all Maine high schools, to 600+ out-of-state high schools, and to the community colleges. This should generate more activity at the Center. Jon has also talked with External Affairs about a press release to major state newspapers.
Dick Kimball asked about the possibility of an interface between PeopleSoft and EMAS to eliminate double data entry. Cindy said that a daily extract from PS to EMAS through a data bridge is possible, but very expensive at $10K per consortium campus. Jon added that there won’t be full data entry at the campus, because the SPC will be doing the initial data entry; the campus will simply enter its decision.
In any event, more cost information is needed from EMAS. Project Enterprise can help, but will need a specification first. Darren-Michael will continue to pursue options.
Work on CRM (the Webapp) was suspended and tabled before go-live because of major performance issues. Oracle believes the problems are on our end; we believe their application is not ready for prime time, according to Cindy. However, Oracle has identified something they need to fix so we should get a test patch soon. To be continued…
c. E-payment: Cindy reported that the contract with TouchNet is now complete. There will be a kick-off call on October 6 initiated by the implementation folks at TouchNet to explain the project plan and activities. An early December go-live date is anticipated. There will be no hardware on any of the campuses (it’s in Missouri), so this is not really an IT technical deployment. TouchNet will provide training to appropriate people from the campuses. Chief Financial Officers will be asked for suggestions, and selection of participants should be coordinated with Student Financials.
Both WebDSIS and the Webapp will be connected into this. Bookstores’ software (Sequoia) will also need to comply with our APLs regarding storing credit card numbers: the TouchNet plan will get us out of the credit card number business.
d. Timeline for upgrades on HR and Financials: Human Resources is now the highest priority. The HR team is identifying a project manager from amongst themselves who will work with the consultant, and then take over that role. A project plan and charter have been developed by the HR team. Presidents Day weekend in February is a possible go-live time (campus vacations, low load for payroll etc.).
In addition, deployment of changes in student work-study data entry is set for early December.
Work on the Financials upgrade will begin after completion of the HR upgrade. Timelines and resources will be identified later this month. Oracle’s deadline for support for bug fixes is March 2007 for 8.4.
e. Development Software: Ralph reported that the current schedule for SunGard Advance indicates completion in November 2007. SunGard, UMaine, and USM will lead this effort, with help from the IT team, and the other campuses will use what is set up. The conversion process for biodemo data will begin next week.
f. Master Schedule: 9/2006 through 6/2007: This schedule indicates the time needed for IDP sessions for Student Financials, Financial Aid, and Advisement (Degree Audit). The SME and consulting resources have just been finalized for Financial Aid. Sarah Doheney from UMaine is SME; Susan Garland from Oracle is consultant. IDP begins October 10.
Darren-Michael noted that this schedule allows team members to have more time at home on campus. He also hopes that they will be able to dedicate more on-campus time to IDP tasks—perhaps the time that would have been spent driving to Bangor. He will try to use conference calls when possible, and may also be able to visit campuses himself. IDP team members will work with Darren-Michael to adjust schedules as necessary when classes begin in January.
We should be in good shape as long as we can make sufficient progress during the first three months.
Darren-Michael is also preparing a milestones calendar; this should be available the week of September 25.
2. Input for Sponsors
a. Needs and appropriate approaches for backfill: Joanne and CFOs are able to offer $500K to be applied over two years. Distribution will be a pro rata share based on the numbers the campuses provided for personnel, travel, etc. needs.
These dollar figures were developed by the Financial Aid officers, so there is some concern about whether they are the correct starting point. Campus conversations have taken place in most cases, but not all. The Steering Committee recognizes that the backfill money can be applied wherever the campus feels it could best be used: not just in the area of financial aid. It was also noted that backfill challenges on the smaller campuses may be greater because a larger percentage of staff is involved.
Joanne will prepare an updated allocation proposal and guidelines for distribution for discussion at the upcoming Sponsors meeting.
The Steering Committee expressed appreciation to Joanne for recognizing and responding, with the CFOs, to the need for backfill.
b. Draft governance changes: Ralph explained that the suggested format attempts to “manage smart” by taking advantage of expertise available while not over-exploiting anybody. It also attempts to educate people first to take into account the costs that policy decisions can have on the technical side of an implementation. The role of the Sponsors is stronger, especially with regard to the student implementation. This model also tries to address the cross-application issues. Have the right people on the campuses been identified? Are changes needed? Forward any suggestions to Ralph for his use in a final draft that will be presented to the Sponsors on September 21, and then back to the Steering Committee before going to the presidents and the Chancellor.
c. Other: Joanne said she has been asked by the Chancellor about the pace of the project. The group agreed that yes, the pace is fast, but this has to be done. The challenges are in managing other projects that might involve some of the same people. Joanne will respond to the Chancellor by sharing the discussion and indicating that the wish of the Steering Committee is to try to ensure that other initiatives on campuses don’t interfere with this project.
Next meetings: Allen suggests Friday, October 20, and Friday, December 1, 10:00 a.m. until noon. Please respond to him with availability.
Jon reminded the group of the Open House at the Shared Processing Center on Wednesday afternoon, September 20.
The meeting was adjourned.
Eddie Meisner, Recorder