Minutes - June 29, 2006
Present: Allen Berger, Tracy Bigney, Jim Breece, Dick Campbell, Ralph Caruso, Tracy Elliott, Frank Gerry, Jon Henry, Dana Humphrey, Dick Kimball, Eddie Meisner, John Murphy, Sharon Nadeau, Tom Potter, Laurie Pruett, Rosa Redonnett, Janet Waldron, Joanne Yestramski, Darren-Michael Yocum.
Darren-Michael presented a Campus Solutions Update via Powerpoint (also sent by email to Committee members) that highlighted the many activities accomplished during the past month. A great deal of system testing and re-testing was done prior to User Acceptance Testing this week, which resulted in a very successful and smooth UAT experience for campus participants. Darren-Michael reported a few minor problems that generally related to incomplete setup tables and security not defined properly (any security issues will be addressed by campus security liaisons). Another week of UAT will take place July 11-14. The deadline for updates and changes is July 20.
In addition to testing the UAT scripts, participants were also able to enter 1200 applications into PeopleSoft, which were then sent over the interface into ISIS. We’ll have a better sense of how that conversion went next week, when campus Admissions Offices are able to look at the data in ISIS. There will be at least one, and perhaps two, more tests of conversion before go-live. We also need to plan how to deal with information that ends up in suspense files.
Darren-Michael noted that everything appears to be on track; we have met the milestones so far, and are positioned very well one month prior to go-live.
Darren-Michael was credited for his many efforts to get us to this point.
Discussion topics included:
- Multi-institutional security. University College employees (and others as well) need to be able to see information on students from other campuses, as they currently do in ISIS. Does PeopleSoft offer view-only access? This needs to be available sooner rather than later.
- Row-level security issues should be re-visited to clarify what users are able to do at another institution. Multiple user IDs would be one way to allow view only at another campus. A “SuperDuperViewer” role is also being discussed.
- Who on a campus makes decisions about who gets view capability at a different institution? Who controls what at the institution level? Should these decisions be made at the institution level or at the System level? Security liaisons are discussing these important questions but have not yet come to agreement on how this should be handled. They will try to meet again in mid-July.
- There needs to be a notification process with regard to security levels when an employee moves from one institution to another; access should also end with termination of employment. Darren-Michael will look at how we might make these triggers happen, perhaps through HR.
- There is a need for audit-type reports to help catch errors before they get too far advanced (Joanne cited examples from HR and Financials). Darren-Michael said there is a process to check for duplicate and multiple IDs. Ralph noted that we may need to develop a formal policy regarding multiple IDs.
- A System Help Desk position is being filled. Protocols to log, track and identify issues and their disposition will be designed. At the outset after July 31, calls may go directly to Darren-Michael who will ensure a response from the appropriate person.
Allen will craft a message from the Steering Committee to the presidents, noting that critical milestones have been met, and that the Steering Committee will continue to monitor progress, meeting again on July 19 for next review. He will also urge presidents to discuss any questions or concerns with their Steering Committee representative.
2. Shared Processing Center
Jon provided a report on Milestones, Timeline, and Readiness at the Center, and noted that document management design will be complete in the next few weeks; the ImageNow consultant will be here to provide training in mid-August. The CDMART team will determine how to handle the few applications that may arrive at the Center prior to ImageNow going live on September 5.
Kim Yerxa has been hired as Document Management Coordinator, and Janet Boucouvalas as Data Operations Manager. Janet will continue to support UMaine as she transitions to the Processing Center.
Laurie is coordinating the search for Data Processing Coordinator positions, and has in hand 25+ applications. Interviews will be scheduled the week of July 17.
Loan Collections will move into the Center July 20-21. Joanne stressed that accountability and compliance issues be addressed to assure 100% compliance. Laurie and Jolynn Campbell will meet with Tracy Elliott.
The webapp is still in progress for go-live on September 12. A prototype will be reviewed on July 19.
There are security issues around document imaging that must be addressed with campus security liaisons.
The name “Shared Processing Center” is generating some concern that external audiences might assume that “shared” means more than we intend. Following discussion, it was determined that:
- The words “Shared Processing Center” should not appear on the application.
- Applications for admission should be directed to “Application Processing; University of Maine System” and those are the words that should appear on the webapp and on the “envelope” (both paper and electronic).
- The application should notify guidance counselors (and applicants and parents) that they need not submit multiple sets of the same documents.
3. Upcoming Report to Board of Trustees on Project Enterprise
Joanne distributed the draft of a high-level overview report that will go to the Board of Trustees for their July meeting (in the mail today). She will incorporate the Committee’s suggestions into the final draft and send copies to the Steering Committee.
4. Current Thinking Regarding Calendar for Financial Aid IDP and Go-Live
Darren-Michael presented a detailed set of screens addressing the pros and cons of shifting the Financial Aid implementation from 2009-2010 to the 2008-2009 award year. The Financial Aid Directors are considering these options, and in general tend to support the earlier implementation.
Allen will ask the Directors to provide a document with their recommendations to the Steering Committee for review at the July 19 meeting. Financial Aid Directors may also ask for guidance from the Steering Committee as they address summer header/trailer issues.
Others who need to be involved in the discussion include bursars, chief financial officers, and enrollment management officers. IDP sessions involving Student Records and Student Financials will also be impacted by this decision and need to be kept informed.
Jim Knight had prepared several drafts of a possible “MaineStreet” logo. Eddie will share comments made at the conclusion of the meeting with Jim, and ask for additional designs, possibly incorporating the UMS bullet. She will also check in with UMS External Affairs regarding logo design.
6. Future Meeting(s)
Next Steering Committee meeting is Wednesday, July 19, 2006 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. over Polycom.
The meeting was adjourned.
Eddie Meisner, Recorder