Logging into the MaineStreet Portal: Employees
You will use your UMS ID and password to log in to the MaineStreet portal. The MaineStreet portal is where you will link to various MaineStreet applications, depending on the security settings assigned to you.
IMPORTANT NOTE for EMPLOYEES:
If you already use a maine.edu email account, FirstClass, Blackboard, or WebCT, then you have already activated your UMS Account. There is no need to go through the activation process again.
If you are a current faculty or staff member at any University of Maine System institution and you do not know your UMS User ID and password, this information is for you.
You will need your EMPLID and your account activation key to activate your UMS Account: If you do not have your account activation key, contact the IT Help Desk or Computer Services at your University.
Armed with your EMPLID and your account activation key, go to the Web page:
and follow the instructions there.
Some Password Tips
- Choose a good password.
- Keep it to yourself. This is important. Anyone who knows your password can see a lot of personal information about you, and can also read your email.
- Do not use a dictionary word, slang, or the name of a family member or a character in a book or movie.
- Mix in at least one number.
- Use at least eight characters (including letters and numbers).
- Be sure to use both UPPER- and lower-case letters.
- Phrases tend to be easy to remember and can make good passwords. E.g. "I love Ben and Jerry's ice cream." Use the first letter of each word, throw in a number, and you've got "IlBaJ7ic".
The Three Questions
Questions with single-word answers are good:
"The name of my pet when I was ten,"
"My grandmother's maiden name,"
"The city where my father was born."
Remember how you capitalize your answers; it matters.
If You Forget Your Password
To use your three questions to reset your password, go to:
and follow the directions on that page.
Managing Your Account Information
To change your password, get into your email account, or forward mail from that account to some other email address, go to:
The link "Web browser access to mail" on that page allows you to read your "@maine.edu" mail, send mail, and so on, using the Web. Or you can use a regular email program such as Outlook or AppleMail.
If you have questions about this information, call your campus Computer Services (or IT) Help Desk.
August 19, 2008