Minutes - December 1, 2006
December 1, 2006
Present: Allen Berger, Tracy Bigney, Dick Campbell, Ralph Caruso, Tracy Elliott, Jon Henry, Dick Kimball, Cindy Mitchell, John Murphy, Rosa Redonnett, Joanne Yestramski, Kathy Brink, Frank Gerry, Sue Hunter, Sharon Nadeau, Janet Waldron, Laurie Pruett, Bill Wells.
Updates on IDP’s:
Cindy provided updates on behalf of Darren-Michael:
- Student Records is continuing to make significant progress
- Historical class schedule milestone – December 31st
- Academic Advisement – team doing well despite challenges. Darren visits campuses to help boost the momentum
- Student Financials continues to excel…in good shape for implementation
Allen wanted to have a sense of how significant the stress was. Cindy spoke on behalf of Darren-Michael and stated that opposition to the project has diminished but there is still skepticism. UMF and UMFK seem most concerned.
Cindy suggested that continued support is necessary and to reassess the readiness at the end of the three-month period.
Allen emphasized that he needs a good assessment of how people at the campuses are doing. Currently no ability to evaluate the work of campuses on IDP efforts. Allen suggested a periodic phone call with updates.
Dick Campbell supports suggestion that regular contact between Darren and individual Steering Committee members is critical to obtain a balanced picture. Particularly communicating with the right people, not necessarily the entire committee.
Suggestion from Allen: Each campus should name a single individual to be the point of contact.
Update on Shared Processing Center Operations:
- Jon Henry gave an excellent overview of how the Center is currently performing. Biggest issue recently is not having adequate staffing to keep the work flowing in a timely manner.
- Key concerns are the backlog being felt by the admissions community.
- Jon reported that a redesigned workflow and copying process has enhanced efficiency.
- The SPC has been communicating directly with campuses thru IM.
- Although many issues resolved, still some difficulty surrounding communication with guidance counselors and community. A second announcement will be helpful.
- Sue Hunter expressed concerns with how time consuming data entry has been and the lengthy turnaround time.
- Jon assured that common app load can move to production to increase efficiency of process by end of next business week.
- Legacy E-App issue should be resolved within ten days.
- Jon suggested that Sharon Nadeau test credit cards.
- Janet Waldron expressed concern that it would be helpful to have a good idea when we will be out of the dip from an enrollment standpoint.
Other concerns expressed:
- See improvement in turnaround time
- Multiple EMPLID’s still being issued – may be resolved through more training according to Jon
- Concern for Admissions Office receiving transcript with no application
- Are we consistently identifying campuses that prospects are interested in?
- Are Admissions Directors positioned in PeopleSoft to accurately forecast (right tools)?
Business Case Proposal for Sponsored Programs:
- Ralph Caruso is hoping to have an update in the next couple of weeks.
E-Payment and TouchNet Update:
Cindy Mitchell/Sharon Nadeau:
- Have right conversations with campuses before they proceed
- Campuses attempt to develop their own products
- Go-live set for mid December
- Gary Lagasse is holding a meeting on December 11th with the Bursars to go over final specifications for Web DSIS
- Pilot changed to graduate schools
Governance and Communication:
- Dana Humphrey no longer on Steering Committee
Suggestions for continued Student Representation:
- Allen to send a memo to seven Board reps asking for suggested nominees for faculty representation
- Ask Dana what he suggests
- Regular meetings with faculty reps at every Board meeting
- Representatives from Sponsors group attend Board meetings anyhow and can provide updates
Updates from Functional Users:
- Sharon Nadeau reported that business officers in IDP each week are excelling.
- Cindy Mitchell suggested a summit to look at how data are flowing back and forth
Update from Campuses:
- UMF – successful One Stop center (Allen Berger)
- USM – Smart Stop coordinated by Marty Berry – taking baby steps (Rosa Redonnett)
- UMPI – Major renovations – student advising and registration running nicely for past month. Leaving Admissions downstairs. Deciding on whether or not to move Student Financials to same floor for students’ convenience (Dick Kimball)
- Orono – No physical structure until late 2008 or 2009 because of dining hall renovations. Co-staffing and cross training has begun (Sue Hunter)
- UMM – “First Stop” includes student billing, financial aid, registration. Staff cross-trained. Going well (Tom Potter)
- UMFK – Low on priority list. Hinging all on financials. Fairly close to one-stop center already. Need to get through IDP first (John Murphy)
- Alan suggested that as we evolve to student system more of an opportunity may exist in coordinating training for one-stops.
- Joanne suggested that Kathy Brink is the best resource for System level training around one stops.
- Kathy presented a selection of training templates to the Shared Processing Center to help move that process forward.
- Two trainings planned at Augusta end of January.
- Laurie suggested that Kathy is available for 80 hours a month and campuses should take advantage of her services.
- Allen suggested opening one-stops an hour earlier and use that time for professional development and staff training. Tracy Bigney would like to be involved.
“News from MaineStreet”:
- The name “News from MaineStreet” is a keeper – well received.
- Dick Kimball suggested that there be a brief note from the Chancellor commenting on the operational audit and approval of budget from the November Board meeting. Joanne will make this suggestion to Chancellor and Eddie.
- Joanne reported that MaineStreet may be an effective tool to communicate and educate staff on position management and the importance of inputting complete and accurate data (no shortcuts).
- Cindy suggested that Eddie put together a positive, high level piece to let people know that their hard work really matters.
- In response to Dick Kimball’s question about rules on the back-fill money being allocated, Joanne said it was included as part of the Operational Audit Savings ($2.7 million). The money will be handed to the campuses to do with it as they please (no explanation needed). This is one-time money.
Minutes of these meetings are public and are posted to the (Project Enterprise) website at (http://www.maine.edu/system/mainestreet/sponsors_steering_minutes.php).
Next meeting: Mid to late January
- updates on milestones
- financial aid startup on IDP
The meeting was adjourned
Jeanie Rogers, Recorder