Benefits Enrollment Information
New employees will be contacted by the UMS Employee Benefits Center via an email to their @maine.edu email account. The email will contain important benefits information.
Employees are encouraged to enter their benefit choices in MaineStreet within 31 days of their date of hire. To get started, log in to MaineStreet and navigate to Employee Self-Service > Benefits > Benefits Enrollment.
View Current Enrollments
Employees currently enrolled in benefits may view their enrollment information online anytime. Simply log in to MaineStreet and navigate to Employee Self-Service > Benefits > Benefits Summary.
Change Current Enrollments
After a newly-hired employee has enrolled in benefits, they may only change their coverages when there is a "qualifying life event" or during the annual open enrollment period.
In order to change benefit elections outside of the annual enrollment period, an employee must have:
- Experienced a qualifying life event, as defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and
- The employee must have made a request for a change of benefits within 31 days of the applicable qualifying life event.
Open Enrollment is an annual event that gives employees the opportunity to review their benefit elections and decide if they wish to make any changes. Employees have a great deal of flexibility in designing their own personalized benefits package. Open Enrollment information is mailed to employees' home addresses in November of each year.
Assign Beneficiary Designations
All employees who are enrolled in any of the following benefit plans must assign life insurance beneficiary designations:
- Supplemental Life
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD and D)
- Supplemental AD and D
Beneficiaries must be separately assigned to each of the plans above. To assign beneficiaries, follow these easy steps:
- Log in to MaineStreet;
- Navigate to Employee Self-Service > Benefits > Insurance Summary;
- Click on any one of the benefits listed above;
- Click Edit in the Beneficiary section.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 for every life insurance benefit listed above.
Other Related Information
- Activating your MaineStreet Account (PDF)
- Using UPK (Help link) (PDF)
- MaineStreet Quick Guide - Benefits Summary
- MaineStreet Quick Guide - Benefits Enrollment
- MaineStreet Quick Guide - Designating Beneficiaries
Contact the Employee Benefits Center
If you have a question about benefits enrollment, contact the UMS Employee Benefits Center toll-free 866-269-9635 (or local 973-3373) or email email@example.com. Have your Employee ID number for faster service.
Last Updated: January 30, 2013->