- Chancellor’s Office
- Board of Trustees
- Faculty & Staff
- Join Our Network
- UMS Data Book
- System Office
- System Directory
Policy Manual – Chancellor and Presidents Benefit Package
HUMAN RESOURCES AND LABOR RELATIONS
Section 404.4 Chancellor and Presidents Benefit Package
Last Revised: 11/6/95. 3/15/10, 1/29/18
Responsible Office: Human Resources
The Chancellor and Presidents are appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees. Appointments for the Chancellor or a President will specify (1) the process and timetable for evaluation, and, subject to the Notice for Cause policy, (2) a two to three -year term appointment that may, for satisfactorily meeting evaluation outcomes, be extended by one year effective one year before expiration of the term and annually thereafter, resulting in a two-year rolling term.
In addition to benefits accorded all System employees, the Chancellor and Presidents shall be eligible for the following benefits established by the Board of Trustees and as agreed upon at the time of appointment or reappointment.
- Life insurance at twice the base salary with the University System paying the total premium. This is in addition to any life insurance provided all full-time regular employees.
- A motor vehicle allowance. No further mileage reimbursement is available when a vehicle allowance is provided.
- As a condition of employment, University-maintained housing may will be provided on a campus when available or a housing allowance may be provided for the appointed Chancellor and President (excludes Interim or Acting incumbents). Housing allowances provided in lieu of University housing will be reviewed periodically and adjusted as deemed appropriate.
- Other benefits and terms of appointment may be negotiated on an individual basis and approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Dependent Tuition Waiver Benefit within the University of Maine System.
- Deferred and/or incentive compensation.
The Board of Trustees shall approve the salaries of the individual officers upon appointment and thereafter on a periodic basis.