- Chancellor’s Office
- Board of Trustees
- Faculty & Staff
- Stay Connected
- UMS Data Book
- System Office
- System Directory
Policy Manual – Presidents Evaluation Process
GOVERNANCE AND LEGAL AFFAIRS
Section 204.1 President – Evaluation Process
Last Revised:11/30/95; 6/30/98; 7/12/2010
Responsible Office: Clerk of the Board
The Chancellor shall conduct an annual review of each President’s performance to be completed in May. In the third year of the President’s service and every four years thereafter, the review will be a comprehensive review as described below. The Chancellor may modify the timing of an annual or comprehensive review as needed to meet needs of the System, with notice to the President. More frequent reviews may also be conducted at the discretion of the Chancellor.
In years in which there is not a comprehensive review of the President, the President will submit a self assessment, together with a statement of proposed goals for the coming fiscal year, in March. Utilizing the President’s self assessment, the Chancellor will meet with the President, to discuss both performance strengths and weaknesses and to finalize the President’s goals for the coming year. Following the meeting, the Chancellor will prepare a letter to the President summarizing the performance review. Before the Chancellor acts on extending the President’s contract, the Chancellor will report to the Board on the outcome of the review, and will recommend to the Board any adjustment to the President’s compensation for the coming year and whether to extend the President’s contract.
The Comprehensive Review in the third year of service and every four years thereafter will be conducted according to the following guidelines:
- The Chancellor will confer with the President and will establish a specific schedule, beginning in October, and time frame for the completion of the tasks necessary for the process.
- The Chancellor will select an external reviewer to conduct the comprehensive review and to report to the Chancellor.
- The external reviewer will work with the Chancellor to establish the review process, develop criteria for assessing the President’s performance and leadership, develop assessment tools, determine the parties to be consulted, and identify all issues and areas to be considered.
- The Comprehensive Review will include at a minimum:
- A self-assessment statement prepared by the President addressing the areas and issues determined by the Chancellor and external reviewer, and
- Interviews with, or other means of obtaining feedback from, all Board members, representatives of faculty, students and staff, Board of Visitors, and any other parties selected by the reviewer and Chancellor.
- The external reviewer will meet with the Chancellor to review the findings of the review process.
- The external reviewer will prepare a draft report. The external reviewer and the Chancellor will then meet with the President to discuss the draft report.
- The external reviewer will finalize the report and forward it to the Chancellor and the President, who will discuss the final report. Following any further revisions by the outside reviewer which may be requested by the Chancellor, the Chancellor will approve the final report and will forward the final report to the Board.
- Before the Chancellor acts on extending the President’s contract, the Chancellor will report to the Board on the outcome of the review, and will recommend to the Board any adjustment to the President’s compensation for the coming year and whether to extend the President’s contract.